May 20, 2014
I’m up early. I make coffee and try to prepare myself mentally for the task of troubleshooting that infernal engine noise. But, the daily chores have to be done first. Empty the trash, fill the water tank, wash down the deck, etc., etc. Then it’s back to the engine problem.

A thorough visual check reveals nothing except a light layer of soot all over everything in the engine compartment. I have two thoughts, a belt or belts wearing excessively or an exhaust leak. I pretty much eliminated the belts yesterday so I start examining the exhaust system. It’s very hard to see in the back of the compartment so I remove the companionway steps, the portside access panel and the starboard side firewall next to the fridge. This allows more light in and gives me better access to the exhaust components. More inspection reveals a soot buildup  and a possible leak where the wet hose attaches to the mixing elbow. To confirm this I start the engine. Sure enough the noise is back and I detect hissing and air movement where the infamous Yanmar coupling joins the exhaust elbow to the mixing elbow. I think we have our problem and it won’t be an easy or cheap fix.


I bring out the repair and parts manuals and the computer for an internet parts search. I find it will take two to three days to get the five parts shipped, about $500 for the parts, express shipping costs plus my labor to fix the problem and that’s if there are no complications.

A call to the local Yanmar service group reveals they would also need to order two of the parts and they could have a Yanmar technician here on Thursday. They estimate the job will be finished in a couple of hours. I take the safe way out and employ the service group. A quick cleanup and Donna and I are back to playing tourist for the afternoon.

Donna has a set of brilliant ideas to get my mind off the engine situation. A mid-afternoon lunch at our favorite pizza place downtown, find a post office or mail box, and continue our walking tour of Charleston.

Mellow Mushroom’s House Pizza and brews are a hit. Being mid-afternoon, we almost have the place to ourselves.  The music is great and we leave stuffed and mellowed out. LOL! The second quest, a mail box, is a lofty goal. Have you tried to find a blue mail box on a street corner lately? We walked and walked and walked, searching in vain for a blue USPS drop box. Damn smart phones were absolutely no help. We finally gave up, boarded a free trolley and headed back toward the marina.

Near the marina, Donna announces we need to visit the Harris Teeter and stock up on some items that go off sale today. I start to object, but then learn beer is one of the items. We leave the trolley, and right there on the corner is a blue mailbox. Go figure.

It’s a two block walk to Harris Teeter, but then it’s about 4-5 blocks to the marina. Those two cases of beer sure got heavy before we made it back to the boat.

Turn on the TV, fall asleep, wake up and turn off TV. A long day is finally over.
 

Location: Charleston Maritime Center, Charleston, SC, MM 465

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment