Day 25, Thursday, May 8, 2008

Today is “M” day…time to get the 3 mast problems (sheaves, Windex and wind monitor) fixed or hire someone to fix them. Being by myself, I spent a lot of time “planning” the operation and what tools would be needed. I installed the Mast Mate ladder and ascended the mast (Trip #1) with winds blowing 10-15. I encountered a couple of “obstacles to progress” right away. Obstacles: #1 - I underestimated the size of the nuts securing the mast cap so I did not have the 17mm socket needed to remove the cap. #2 - The nut on the Windex mount came off OK, but the mount was securely corroded into the mast cap extension. I was able to remove the wind monitor masthead transducer and lower it to the deck. I also found a new problem…the anchor light housing was beginning to disintegrate due to years of UV exposure. Score: Murphy 3, Dick 1. I decided to descend to plan the next attack.

I  rode the bike to the nearby West Marine for WD40 and parts to repair the transducer. Success comes in tiny bits, pricey WD40 was all I could find. Back at the boat I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the anemometer portion of the transducer. I think it will work when reinstalled. The wind vane is another story. The pointer counterbalance is missing and the vane has “wobbled” out the hole for the axle in the plastic. I manufactured some shims from water bottle plastic and the vane pivots better but needs the counterbalance. I tapped out the counterbalance hole to accept a 6-32 screw and attempted to make a counterbalance with the screws and nuts I had on board. The “idea” will work but a longer (3“-4”) screw will be required.

Enough for today. Time for a beer.

Location: still in Daytona Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment