Day 26, Friday, May 9, 2008

In port Daytona Marina. Using the internet, I located an Ace hardware about 3 miles away. After breakfast I took off on the bicycle armed with my shopping list. I was able to get everything I needed at the hardware store including more alcohol for the stove. Round trip sure seemed longer than 6 miles. The center drive bearing nut on the bicycle came loose on the trip and I had to repair the bicycle when I got back to the boat.

Back on the boat I ascended the mast again (Trip #2) . With the right size socket, I was able to remove the mast cap and examine the sheave problem. The topping lift sheave was missing the starboard wall of the pulley area and the line was jammed between the masthead fixture and the sheave. The main halyard sheave was missing 75% of the starboard wall. Since I had hauled the Mast Mate up on the main halyard, I needed to secure the Mast Mate so I could take the pressure off the main halyard. Using a length of line and a piece of hose to protect against chaffing/cutting, I lashed the Mast Mate to the mast using the two slots in the mast about a foot below the masthead fixture.

I descended , took the pressure off the main halyard and topping lift lines and resecured them with enough slack to allow removal of the sheaves. I tested my full weight on the new Mast Mate attachment point several times before I was satisfied enough to reascend the mast (Trip #3). Once at the top again, I was able to remove the broken sheaves and install the new metal ones and reinstall the mast cap.

The mast cap extension was still not giving up the Windex mount. I finally managed to remove the extension and descended to attack the mount on a safer level. With some effort I was finally able to remove the old mount and partially assemble the new Windex on the extension. Using the long screw and nuts purchased at the hardware store, I manufactured a pointer/counterbalance for the wind vane and tested its physical operation on the dock. A trip to West Marine for a new anchor light and I was ready to go up once again…Tomorrow. Its Beer time!

Score now : Murphy 2, Dick 2

No comments:

Post a Comment