Day 27, Saturday, May 10, 2008

I'm still in port at the Daytona Marina. Spent a little time planning the tools and parts issues in hopes this would be the last trip up the mast. I also tightened up the topping lift and main halyard. With the main halyard now the primary support for the Mast Mate, I made the ascent with the wind blowing abeam at 15-20 with strong gusts (Trip#4). With my weight at the top and the wind gusts, the boat did some serious heeling. Being 53' in the air looking straight down I'm seeing water where the boat should be.  I attempted to lift the bag containing the parts off the deck and pull it up to me, but the wind caught the bag and it got fouled in the lazy jacks. After about thirty minutes of trying to clear it, I finally gave up and descended the mast to clear the rope. After clearing and positioning the bag to the leeward side, I ascended the mast again (Trip#5).

I was able to hoist the parts bag this time without getting it fouled in any rigging. I installed the mast extension bar and finished the Windex assembly. I then installed the “repaired” wind monitor assembly and hoped it would work “electrically” when I powered it up later. After that I installed the new anchor light complete with a very expensive LED bulb. I double checked everything, removed the secondary support lashings, descended the mast and hoped the operation was finally complete. I purposely left the Mast Mate in place knowing Murphy would smack me with another trip up if I took it down.

I powered up the instruments and was pleased to see the wind monitor’s anemometer and wind angle functions working great. I knew the sheaves were going to work fine, but a visual of the Windex from the helm revealed it needed to be “tweaked” to starboard. OK, one more trip up will be required.

After dark, I turned on the anchor light and was delighted to see it was functioning perfectly. Beer time!

Score now : Murphy 1, Dick 3

No comments:

Post a Comment